Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish Blog.
This week’s topic: Ten Reasons I Love X — could be a certain book, character, author, your indie bookstore, a fandom, a tv show, reading, a hobby, a genre. Honestly anything you want to gush about.
My TTT is the Top 10 Reasons I love The Office (US).
The Office has been off the air for a few years now, but I still love it and watch it on Netflix often. Here are the reasons I love it.
10. Dwight Schrute. Even though he is one of the most annoying TV characters in history, deep down, he is good guy and he is fiercely loyal to those he loves.
9. They never seem to work at Dunder Mifflin. I wish I worked at a company where I could sit in stupid meetings all day. It seemed like the staff at DM did more screwing around than working on a daily basis (take Beach Day, S3 E20).
8. Office Romance. I have worked in an office (much bigger than Dunder Mifflin) and office romance is a real thing that happens. There were so many romances at DM – Jim and Pam, Dwight and Angela, Kelly and Ryan, Kelly and Daryl, Andy and Angela, Andy and Erin, Erin and Clarke. Made the show more interesting.
7. Holiday Parties. Dunder Mifflin had some epic holiday parties. My favorite was the holiday party where Jim gave Pam the tea cup. The holiday party were Holly came back was my second favorite. Classy Christmas.
6. HR Nightmares. In a real office place, Michael and Dwight would have been fired in season 1. The stunts they pulled would never be tolerated in a real office, which is what makes it funny on the show. The best example of this – Gay Witch Hunt, Season 3, Episode 1.
5. Family. Despite their differences, the people at Dunder Mifflin are a family. They look out for each other, and take care of each of other. This is part of what makes the show very special.
4. Michael Scott. Despite his flaws as a boss, Michael is just a very lonely guy looking for acceptance. Michael didn’t have a lot of friends, and looked at his employees as family. He never wanted to fire anyone, and tried to make everyone happy all the time, which you can’t do if you’re a boss. At the end of day, he just wanted to be loved.
3. Pranks. Oh the pranks that Jim played on Dwight. They were awesome! From the classic stapler in the jello, to the more elaborate wrapping paper desk, Jim had the most amazing sense of humor. Two of my favorites are the “Gaydar” and when Jim faxes Dwight notes from future Dwight. Hilarious.
2. Jim Halpert. Jim is my absolute favorite character on the show. He is funny, loyal and incredibly smart. You felt Jim’s feelings throughout the entire series – if you didn’t love Jim, you didn’t pay close enough attention.
And No. 1. Jim and Pam. No couple in any show I’ve ever watched had the chemistry that Jim and Pam had. From the beginning of the show, you could tell that these two were mean to be together, despite the fact that Pam was engaged to that idiot Roy. I loved watching their relationship develop over the course of the nine year run, and their wedding episode is one of my favorites.